Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Godhead

One of the major differences between our doctrine and that of many Christian faiths is our belief in The Godhead as three distinct beings. We believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost are three individual beings; united in purpose but as distinct as you and I. The best way I can think of it is like thinking about my parents. My Mom and Dad are totally unified in what they do. They make decisions together, they follow the same rules, they share the burdens of raising a family, but they are two individual people.
One of the best talks that has been given on this subject was by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in October of 2007 (click here to read). He talks about the scriptural basis of this belief. Jesus Christ spoke of His Father on many occasions, and spoke of His Father as a separate being. One example of this is found in John 6:38 which reads, "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." Our Savior, Jesus Christ, followed everything that Heavenly Father asked Him to do. He paved the way for us to return to our Father in Heaven. He is unified with Heavenly Father on everything. But They are individuals. I hope this helps clear up any confusion about our belief in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost. If you have any other questions please let us know.

No comments: